COVID-19 Energy Access Industry Barometer – Presentation of results in a webinar hosted by EnDev
Learn more about the impact of COVID-19 on the off-grid energy access sector from the most global and inclusive survey yet!
Key findings of the survey
The results of the “Energy Access Industry Barometer” present a picture from 613 companies across 44 countries, that provide energy access through mini-grids, clean cooking solutions, household solar products and appliances.
Actual live market data regarding e.g. demand, turnover, and sales as well as voices from affected companies will give investors, governments, and donors the insights they need to respond to the crisis and develop recovery strategies during the webinar.
From the results, three main findings can be derived:
- The energy access sector is in crisis: Progress towards SDG7 and related SDGs at severe risk.
- Many businesses fear for their survival, large number of jobs at risk – Livelihoods are endangered, economic and social crisis coincide.
- Access to finance is key – sector needs special vehicles: Particularly short-term grant relief – also new long-term equity/debt & concessional loans
The survey was conducted by EnDev in a strategic cooperation with
- EnDev – Energising Development
- AMDA – Africa Minigrid Developers Association
- ARE – Alliance for Rural Electrification
- CCA – Clean Cooking Alliance
- Efficiency for Access Coalition Secretariat
- ESMAP – Energy Sector Management Assistance Programme
- GDC – Global Distributors Collective
- GOGLA – Global association for the off-grid solar energy industry
- SEforALL – Sustainable Energy for All