Call for Expression of Interest: Business Development Services to Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises in Uganda
EnDev Uganda is running a second phase of business development support (BDS) for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in the solar and cooking sectors from March 2023 to August 2023, as a follow up to the first phase that was completed in February 2022.
In Uganda, the EnDev Programme is implemented by GIZ, in close cooperation with the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development (MEMD). EnDev Uganda facilitates access to modern energy services for households, social institutions, and small and medium enterprises through market development for improved cook stoves (ICS) and solar PV including fostering a conducive enabling environment.
EnDev Uganda, in addition to the business development support offered to 08 small and
medium enterprises (SMEs) in the solar and cooking sectors in Uganda in year 2021/22, is
offering another opportunity for business development services (BDS) support through
targeted mentoring, training, and coaching in the same areas of key business processes and operations to other interested enterprises in the solar and cooking sectors and Uganda.
There will be provision/ allowance for refresher or additional training for BDS 1.0 participating companies that require additional skilling, training or mentoring in the key BDS areas. The BDS 1.0 participating companies have the option to submit an expression of interest in this regard or may be earmarked for additional training based on the recommendations from the BDS 1.0 impact assessment.
Picking from the learnings of the 1st BDS round, and the available literature on SMEs operational challenges in Uganda, the following will be the focus/ training areas in BDS 2.0.:
• Strategic Planning and Management
• Financial Planning and management
• Strategic Marketing and distribution plans
• Operations (including risk and change management)
• Human Resource and organisational structures
• Investment Readiness/ resource mobilisation strategies
• Business formalisation (including registrations, tax compliance, conformity to
• Women empowerment and gender mainstreaming
The target is to support an additional 06 solar and 06 cooking SMEs with the trainings in the next round of business development services support, with a focus on comprehensive or refresher trainings on the core BDS areas as listed above. The scale up support will ensure that more SMEs get skills to grow their business and the renewable energy subsector in general.
Eligible SMEs/ Applicants
All small and medium enterprises operating in the off-grid solar or clean cooking sectors in Uganda.
Business Development Support to be offered
Successful applicants will receive tailored business development training, coaching, and mentoring with the view of fostering sound business practices in the solar and cooking sectors in Uganda.
The interested applicants should be off-grid solar or cooking SMEs that are legally registered and have been in operation in Uganda for the past three (3) years and can demonstrate the following;
• Willingness and commitment to avail company financial, strategic and management data for assessment and analysis by BDS consultant. Strict rules and guidelines on confidentiality of sensitive company information will be adhered to. Non-disclosure agreements will be in place between the BDS consultant and the participating SME.
• Willingness to host teams from the BDS consultant and from EnDev Uganda as required and where applicable to your premises during the duration of the trainings
• Willingness to commit relevant/ pertinent members of their staff to fully participate in the BDS training activities
• Involvement of women in management and operations
• Willingness to provide motivational statement on the status of the business, operational gaps and anticipated impact of receiving the BDS trainings
Please request the Expression of Interest (EOI) template via email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Then submit it to the mentioned contacts indicating in the subject line “EOI for participation in Business Development Trainings”.
Request for clarification/questions regarding this call should be sent to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org indicating in the subject line “Request for clarification: EOI for participation in Business Development Trainings”.
The deadline for submission of applications is Friday 24th March 2023, 4pm (EAT).