Invitation for lunchtime event at GIZ Representation in Brussels, 23 October 2018: How to Empower Women in the Off-Grid Energy Business?
12 October 2018
Together with AVSI and further guests, EnDev will discuss integrated approaches for women empowerment in the off-grid energy sector during the C4C lunch time event in Brussels
Tuesday, 23 October 2018. The Capacity4Change (C4C) event jointly organised by EnDev together with AVSI Foundation, and in cooperation with the European Commission, will discuss “Energy for Strengthening Resilience at Community Level: How to Empower Women in the Off-Grid Energy Business?”
SDG 5 (promoting gender equality) and SDG7 (access to sustainable energy) often go hand in hand: The promotion of off-grid energy solutions provides excellent opportunities for women empowerment and in particular for job creation. Women benefit from new jobs in the energy sector, varying from sales agents of solar home systems to producers of improved cookstoves and to nurses in electrified health centres.
During the event, the AVSI Foundation and EnDev will share practical examples of an integrated approach for women empowerment in the off-grid energy sector via presentations and a panel discussion.
This edition of the C4C series will:
- showcase practical examples from Africa and Latin America on how to promote communities’ and women resilience through energy access, efficiency and education
- discuss the added value of an integrated and holistic project approach, as well as challenges encountered during implementation
- compare experiences of various organisations with regard to incorporating the approach in their operations.
AVSI Foundation is active in many areas of development cooperation including energy and environment, job creation and vocational training, urban development and upgrading since 1972. It is currently implementing 169 projects in 31 countries in partnership with 700 local actors, always focusing on people dignity.
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) has been working in the field of international cooperation in a wide variety of areas, including energy and environment for more than 50 years. Together with the Netherlands Enterprise agency (RVO), GIZ coordinates and implements the EnDev programme in 25 countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
Capacity4Change (C4C) is an event series organised in Brussels by GIZ in cooperation with selected partner institutions and organisations. C4C aims to enrich the Brussels policy debate with practical know-how and implementation experiences. It features innovative approaches, challenging analyses, interesting publications and thought-provoking ideas.
Date and location
Tuesday, 23 October 2018, 12:00h – 13:30h
GIZ Representation Brussels, Rue du Trône 108, 1050 Brussels
Please RSVP to: email@example.com Maximum 80 seats available on a first-come, first-served basis. For questions, feel free to get in touch via the above email address.
The event will be live streamed. Join the discussion on Twitter: #capacity4change
! Please note that there will be live streaming and photographs will be taken at the event. By participating you agree that these pictures can be used and published within GIZ´s Corporate Communications work, for example in publications, press releases and internet presentations.
12:00 Opening and Welcome
Siegfried Leffler, GIZ Director Brussels Office
12:05 Introduction to the discussion
Marcel Raats, Co-Director Energising Development (EnDev) program
12:10 Energy for communities and women resilience (two presentations followed by Q&A)
- Promoting communities’ resilience through energy access and education
Alessandro Galimberti, Sr. Socioeconomic development specialist and AVSI Foundation’s focal person for domestic energy efficiency Felisbela Materrula, Chief sociologist at the Urban Planning and Environment department of the Maputo City Council
- Women empowerment and job creation through off-grid energy initiatives
Kirstin Bretthauer, energy advisor and gender expert EnDev programme
12:45 Panel discussion and Q&A?
- Georgios Pantoulis, Deputy Head Sustainable Energy and Climate Change, DG DEVCO, European Commission
- Dagmar Schumacher, Director of the UN Women Liaison Office in Brussels (tbc)
- Marcel Raats, Co-Director of the Energising Development (EnDev) program
- Ana Victoria Rojas, Specialist at Nedworc Foundation for Gender, Energy & Climate Change
- Francesca Oliva, AVSI focal person for Energy
Moderator: Edu Willemse, Public Relations Manager EnDev programme
13:25 Closing followed by networking lunch
A light lunch will be served.